"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Wednesday, November 07, 2012

vivian maier redux

self portrait

View a short film about the wonderful Vivian Maier, the Chicago nanny who moonlighted as a photographer - or, as many in the photo world are now saying - the photographer who moonlighted as a nanny.

A new book featuring her photographs, Vivian Maier: Out of the Shadows, was released in September. I ordered my copy today! I'm really inspired by her work and moved by the most recent images that have been discovered and published in the book. James Estrin, NYT Lens Senior Editor, calls the most recent work that's surfaced the most compelling yet.

Her story and the work she made just keeps getting more and more fascinating. If you'd like to read about her, check out this article from Mother Jones or read my previous posts about her (check the archive list to the right.)

Her work just blows me away.






















 






1 comment:

Jessica said...

Gloria,
When I look at these, and some of your work from the Portland area, I always wonder if when you photograph a person on the street, do you ask permission first? Or does it depend on how close you are to them? Maybe if it's in the distance it's not necessary, but if you're right next to them it's a courtesy?? Maybe it's a case-by-case situation. Just a question that I've been curious about....